Google has been carbon neutral since 2007, and is aiming to be completely carbon-free by 2030. How does this impact your business? You can also achieve carbon neutral status by running your business with Google Workspace.
Google’s Sustainability Journey
Google believes that every business is responsible for protecting our planet, and although they are one of the biggest companies in the world, one of their main focuses has always been on sustainability.
Let’s take a look at Google’s timeline with sustainability:
- 2007 – Google became the first major company to be carbon neutral in their industry
- 2017 – Google became the first major company to match 100% of annual electricity use with renewable energy
- 2020 – Google issued $5.75 billion in sustainability bonds – the largest sustainability or green bond issuance by any company in history
- 2020 – Google compensated for legacy carbon footprint, making them the first major company to be carbon neutral for its entire operating history
Google’s focus is on three major factors:
- Accelerating the transition to carbon-free energy
- Empowering everyone with technology to solve sustainability issues
- Benefiting the people and places where they operate
Google Sustainability & Your Business
“Whether someone is using Google at home or as part of an organisation running Google Cloud or Google Workspace, all products in our Cloud are carbon neutral”
What’s more, last year Google announced Carbon Footprint for Google Cloud, which helps businesses measure, report and reduce the gross carbon emissions of using Google Cloud services.
This year, Google is launching Carbon Footprint for Google Workspace, providing similar reporting functionality for the emissions associated with products like Gmail, Meet, Docs and others.
Google’s aims for the next few years until 2030 are to:
- Achieve net-zero emissions across all operations and value chain
- Become the first major company to run on carbon-free energy 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year
- Help more than 500 cities and local governments reduce an aggregate of 1 gigaton of carbon emissions annually
- Commit to help 1 billion people make more sustainable choices by 2022 through their core products
Working with Google
Want to get on board with Google Workspace? Setup Google Workspace today with Ballyhoo – who are certified Google Resellers & Partners. We can help you set up and manage your Google Workspace, safe in the knowledge that we are on hand for any issues or queries. Contact us today on 0121 295 5352 or email [email protected] now.